Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Cry of My Heart



    It is the cry of my heart to follow You It is the cry of my heart to be close to You It is the cry of my heart to follow All of the days of my life 
      This is one of the thousands of choruses sung all over now. I don't hate it. In fact, it's one of my most favorite things ever to hear Elaine Short play on the piano. But, as I was reading in Deuteronomy yesterday I was compelled to re-read some of the passages that I may have given less than my full attention to. And, boy, am I glad I did. I heard the cry of God's heart.
      "O that there were such a heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them,, and with their children forever."  Deut. 5:29
      It broke my own heart. Seeing God's heart laid bare like that. Seeing how I am one of those stiff-necked people who runs from the Hound of Heaven, doesn't fear Him, doesn't keep all His commandments. My heart fell at the feet of the Lord. 
      So this is the cry of my heart.  
      O Lord, would that I would have such a heart in me. A heart that fears you, loves you, obeys you. 
       
        

    1 comment:

    1. I miss hearing Elaine play on the piano. I miss a lot of things about our years of going to church together.

      I also struggle with not following or fearing. I love your prayer...it's mine too.

      ReplyDelete