It's already February, but it's still feels like a new year to me, so that's my topic. I still have to finalize my 2011 Goals. Then I need to publish them to my kids and invite people to join me on some of em. Here's what I have so far:
1. Read the Bible minimum of 5 days/week
2. I really want to try to read it 40 minutes/day twice/day, which would be about 10% of every 24 hrs.
3. Read Bible through, KJV with Karen Lynn
4. Memorize Colossians
5. Learn to golf
6. Learn 2 hymns & 2 Christmas carols on my dulcimer
7. Learn the cello
8. Read 2 classics - have book talks
9. Read 2 Christian biographies - have book talks
10. Re-read The Normal Christian Life & read all of Mere Christianity - have book talks
11. File old papers
12. Re-organize/clean mechanical room
13. Paint/decorate upstairs toy room & laundry room
14. Clean downstairs desk
15. New kitchen countertop, sink/faucet, & light fixtures
16. Organized system for Gran Time
17. List 1000+ gifts
18. Keep up with birthday cards
OK. I think that's about it. Sigh! Just getting it in writing helps me! Gonna send this tomorrow - get input for the classics and biographies choices. Who's with me on the 2 classics? Any suggestions? The 2 biographies...suggestions? The Normal C.L. and Mere Christianity and subsequent booktalks? Follow me and comment! Humor me...I won't be around forever.
I love new years...new beginnings...fresh starts. His mercies are new every morning. Thank you, Lord.
I am so excited you are blogging! I love your background! Evan and I are planning on reading Mere Christianity together after we finish all the Narnia books...we are only on the third though right now!
ReplyDeleteKeep the posts coming!
xoxo
mh
I am with you on eight, nine and ten. And three, obviously. I don't think I could memorise Colossians, but I like the idea of doing it someday. I'm pretty sure forty minutes and day twice a day is 5% of 24 hours or 10% of 12 hours. Still a very lofty goal though. My own goal is just to spend SOME time in the Word everyday - even that has not yet been accomplished so I won't quantify it yet. I am considering doing number seventeen. (Thank you so much for my book. I loved it and will read it again very soon.) I will soon have suggestions for the Classics and Biographies. Until then, I think your eighteen goals are very high aiming and wish you well and Godspeed. I love you,
ReplyDeleteKaren
Actually, it's more than 5%. Anywho, here are my suggestions for possible classics to read. Maybe you'll like one of them.
ReplyDelete1. Any of the Waverly Novels by Sir Walter Scott
2. The Once and Future King by T. H. White
3. Anything by Chesterton.
4. Anything by Wodehouse.
5. A Passage to India by E. M. Forster
6. How Green Was my Valley by Richard Llewellyn
7. Something by Chaim Potok.
8. Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh
9. The History of Henry Esmond, Esq. by William Makepeace Thackeray
10. The Idiot by Dostoyevsky
In no particular order of preference. I haven't read any of these, but fully intend to one day.
Of course you are right, Karen. 10% of 24 hours would be 2.4 hours - so 1.2 hours twice/day would be...1 hour and 12 minutes! Whew. That hurt my brain. Anyway on the book list...I have read Once And Future King, loved it. A Passage to India is...zzzzzzz. I loved the movie "How Green Was My Valley", maybe I'd love the book (although I really prefer book before movie). I've read all Chaim Potok's books. Love him. If we're going to read Dostoyevsky, let's do "Crime and Punishment". I have it and have started it countless times. I love you Karen Lynn. I wonder how you will see this....
ReplyDeleteOH. I've only just seen it now. And it's not through lack of looking at your page, I just didn't think to look back at the comments bit. Did you read anything? How did your list progress? Shall we try reading a book together in 2012, because I missed the boat this year. Love you
ReplyDeleteOh, and if you haven't done your biographies, or want to do another, I really want to read Oswald Chambers, but I can't remember what it's called. You've probably already read it anyway.
ReplyDeleteI would like to read Crime and Punishment.
Also I have reread 1,000 gifts now and got even more out of it the second time. I have given two copies already and plan to give more. I started my list and have come to over 300 after sitting down to write it just twice. I'm sure the list is well over 1,000 in my head, it's really a fact that I have very little time for sitting down on my own to do such things. Even now I type with one hand while holding my fussing feverish baby. She's still so sweet and smiling though. I can't wait for you to meet her.
Well, I'm rambling. I'll stop now.